Click Here to register on-line for Swim Lessons!
Private lessons are for individuals. Semi-Private lessons are for 2 individuals with similar swimming skills (please note matches will not be made by the YMCA). The instructor will make the final decision regarding the compatibility of the two swimmers. Each lesson is 30-minutes in length. Private lesson request forms are located at the front desk. A phone call will be made to match your child with an instructor within 5 business days of receiving your form AND payment. Please be aware there is a possibility of being on a wait list. Instructors have swim lessons certifications as well as years of experience. Please call Tia at ext. 215 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Swim Starters Swim Lessons (6 months-3 yrs. old)
This program parents will accompany their children. Introducing infants and toddlers to the aquatic environment through exploration and encourages them to enjoy themselves while learning about the water.
Preschool Swim Lessons (3-5 yrs. old)
30 Minute class length
Class Ratio: 3/4 students to 1 instructor. This program offers children their first experience in the water without a parent present. The children are taught basic skills that are the building blocks of swimming with our first four levels: Water Acclimation, Water Movement, Water Stamina, and Stroke Introduction. Children may be reassigned on the 1st day of class to an appropriate level if needed. All instructors are certified or training for certification.
Youth Swim Lessons (6-12 yrs. old)
40 Minute class length
Class ratio: 4/6 students to 1 instructor. This program follows the YMCA of the USA’s guidelines to swim lessons. With our levels: Water Acclimation, Water Movement, Water Stamina, Stroke Introduction, Stroke Development, Stroke Mechanics.
• Please make it a point to get to know your instructor. Instructors are subject to change during and in-between sessions.
• The YMCA reserves the right to move children to different levels if needed.
• Pre-testing can be done by appointment.
• Do not assume that your child will move to the next level.
It often takes several sessions before a child is ready to progress
Swim Team (click here for the Pelicans website)
All swimmers are welcome to join the Elgin Pelicans Swim Team, however please keep in mind the following:
• All swimmers must be able to swim one length of the pool freestyle and one length of the pool backstroke and have a positive team attitude.
• All swim team members must be members of the Prairie Valley Family YMCA – Taylor Branch. This is a YMCA of the USA Competitive sports rule.
• The Elgin Pelicans compete in both YMCA and USA Swimming meets. Participation in USA Swimming is optional. There is an additional fee for USA Swimming registration and meet entries.
• All swimmers are encouraged to participate in swim meets with the team
• Swimmers will be placed in practice groups and lanes depending on their skill level. Coaches have the final decision on where swimmers will be placed based on ability and attitude.
• Swimmers must purchase a team suit to be worn at swim meets only. Female swimmers must wear one-piece suits during practice.